2012 Best Soup - Pineapple / Tomatillo / Habanero Soup
- 10 - 14 Tomatillos
- 1 Pineapple
- 2 Red Peppers
- 1 Habanero Pepper
- 1 Small White Onion
- 1 Garlic Clove
- 8 Fresh Basil Leaves
- 3 Cups Pineapple Juice
- 1 Tbsp Honey
- 2 tsp Kosher Salt
- 2 tsp Black Pepper
- Olive oil for cooking
- Roast red peppers whole in oven. Let cool. Remove skin and seeds. Slice into strips.
- In large pot, sweat diced onion and garlic.
- Remove husks and stems from tomatillos. Clean them with warm water and coarsely chop. Remove skin and core from pineapple and coarsely chop. Chop basil leaves.
- Wearing gloves, dice habanero pepper. Save the seeds if you would like a spicier soup. Add roasted red pepper, pineapple, tomatillo, habanero and basil to pot. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until soft .
- Add pineapple juice and honey to pot. Let contents simmer for about a half hour. Puree and serve.
Serves 6 - 8 people
2012 Runner-up / Best Vegetarian - Blissful Bicyclists Bisque (Roasted Poblano and Corn Bisque)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 14 oz. vegetable broth
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 ears of corn
- kernels cut from cob
- 1/2 cup cream
- 3 tbsp. flour
- 1/2cup milk
- 6 poblano peppers
- salt & pepper to taste
Heat butter in large pot and stir in onion, cook until soft & translucent. Pour in chicken stock and bring to boil. Stir in garlic salt & pepper. Stir in corn. Simmer approximately 10 minutes, then reduce heat to medium low. Core out the poblanos and roast on the grill. Dice poblanos when cool. Set aside 1 cup of soup to cool-then pour into food processor. Add cream & peppers, then puree. In small bowl stir together flour and milk-slowly stir into remaining simmering soup. Simmer for 2 minutes. Then add puree. Cook on low for 5 approximately minutes.
2011 Best Soup - Parsnip Soup
- 2 pounds parsnips, peeled and chopped evenly into 1/4 inch thick pieces
- 1 large Idaho potato, peeled and chopped into 8 even pieces
- 7 cups water or vegetable Stock
- 1 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1/2 cup clover honey
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- Heat oil and add onion and celery, cook on medium heat until onion is translucent.
- Add parsnips, potato, water, salt and honey and turn to high heat, bring to a boil and reduce to simmer.
- Add cream and vinegar, simmer for one hour or until parsnips are very tender.
- Puree the soup in small batches in a blender or with a hand held immersion blender until smooth.
- Garnish with candied pumpkin seeds and smoked chili oil.
3 1/2 Quarts or 12 8oz. Servings.
2011 Best Vegetarian - Cheddar Peddler Brew Ha Ha!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 diced carrot, celery, & onion
- 1 diced clove of garlic
- 2 bottles of beer
- 1 quart vegetable stock
- 3 quarts heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Pinch dry mustard
- 3 cups shredded cheddar
- salt & pepper
- In large soup pot, melt butter, and add vegetables. Heat until tender.
- Add beer and vegetable stock, bring to a boil.
- Add heavy cream, Worcestershire, cayenne, and dry mustard, bring to simmer
- Stir in cheddar cheese, let simmer, while stirring, 10-15 minutes.
- Salt and pepper to taste.